Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Confessions of a Reformed Scrooge



        Yes, it's that time of year again.  Time for the frantic to-do lists, retail frenzy, and endless errands.  I admit that until recently, I really got bogged down with all the Christmas hoopla.  I didn't enjoy walking into every store to be blasted by Christmas music and prepackaged gift boxes featuring combinations of jewelry, perfume, and earmuffs.  It all just seemed so excessive.  Nor, I admit, did I like just buying gift cards for everyone, because what is the point of that?  Why don't we all just keep our money?   I am the first to admit that I was a scrooge, and my dear husband was very good to put up with my complaining through the holiday season.  I am proud to say I've gotten over my scroogeness by following these simple rules:1. buy from local stores and artisans as much as you can, 2. let yourself of the hook, and 3. don't worry so much.   I've found that by following these three simple rules, I enjoy the season a great deal more.  When you purchase something from small local businesses and artists, you are really giving two gifts.  You are giving something to recipient as well as the person or business you are buying it from.  Your purchase at a small local store this season may have helped them pay that extra bill that needed to be paid to stay in business.  When you go to a craft show and make a big purchase from an artist, you may have made their day and helped them to stay in business and continue to do what they love.  Sure, the big box stores need your business ( and they always manage to get at least some of mine), but it is the local stores that really need your support this season.  So this season please support us struggling artists and shop owners who rely on the season for your support.  Oh, and about the other two rules....the world will not end if you don't make award-winning cookies and send out Christmas cards.  Just try not doing it one year and see what happens.  Just relax, let yourself off the hook and don't worry so much.  And here is my shameless plug:  I have many unique jewelry designs still available if you would like to stop by and check them out.  Also, I have many designs for sale at Creative Genius Art Gallery in Medford, NJ, so stop by and check them out when you are shopping in downtown Medford ( which you really should be this holiday season).  Online, non-local people, there is still time to ship for Christmas, so check out my etsy shop, facebook page, and blog and find that perfect gift for that unique person in your life ( even if that person is you).  Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog. Beautiful work. Congratulation on being published.
    Breana

    ReplyDelete