Tuesday, December 9, 2014

The Art of Friendship


     It has been a long time indeed since my last blog post (September!).  Since my last posting I have barely made any new jewelry, despite some of the ideas that keep floating around in my head.  The past few months have seen some stress in our family brought on by an upcoming move.  Instead of throwing myself into my work as I normally would this time of year, I found myself packing away many of my tools, and clearing out my studio in preparation for our relocation next year.  As excited as I am about our move and the new adventure that awaits, it is not easy to pick up and move to a new area, leaving behind connections and friendships I have made.  Life is not always a smooth ride, as everyone knows, and dealing with some hiccups teaches you invaluable lessons.  Some of the things I have learned from this and other periods of stress in my life are:

*exercise can be a great stress relief
* no matter how bad things seem, it could always be worse, and there are people who would gladly trade problems with you.
*happiness is a warm puppy (yes, I stole that from the peanuts cartoon).
*laughter can be the best medicine
*anger, resentment, regret, and bitterness, whether directed at a person, place, or circumstances beyond your control, are toxic emotions.  Don't let these things fester in your heart, as no good will ever come of it.  Try to show those may do you wrong forgiveness and compassion, instead of anger and hate.
*times of stress truly remind you of who really has your back and is there for you.
*and many other things too numerous to list......

    Occasionally through this period I have had a rare chance to pick up my tools and do a little creating.  To me, it just feels like re-connecting with an old friend.  Those friends you have who you can share a good laugh with no matter how much time has past. I am lucky to have such friends in my life and to have the person who is truly my best friend, my husband.  I may or may not be creating much, during the coming months, but I know it will always be there for me when I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment