Monday, August 17, 2015

Room to Grow


    So we have landed in our new home, and I have started to settle in to my new studio and let my creative juices flow again.  I have noticed with the few designs I have created this year, that my look is starting to change. My once frilly, Victorian, steampunk designs have morphed into earthy, bohemian, tribal inspired pieces.  This has led to an urge to re-hash many of my older pieces into new designs.  I still love working with found objects and vintage pieces, I am just exploring different ways to use them. Time off from selling and doing shows has given me much needed room to grow, and reminded me that change can be good.  I love the peacefulness of a still pond in the morning, but without some good rain every now and again to stir things up, the water can get quite stagnant.  I find the streams and brooks much more interesting as they are always full of energy and change, even if they can get dangerous with too much rain.  Stagnancy is not a fantastic thing, so I am embracing the new ideas and styles, even it is vastly different than what I started out creating and I end up having to create a whole new display setup to match!  I would urge you all to give yourself room to grow. Learn something new, change your look, rethink long held opinions, challenge the idea that something always has to be done a certain way.  Stay out of the stagnant pond and take a dip in the flowing river.  I can't wait to see where it leads me!

2 comments:

  1. I'm just starting to find my 'style' but I really love how you've worded this need for change from time to time. The image of a pond with rain stirring it is quite moving. Thanks for the reminder. Best wishes on this new path, and congrats on the new house! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Life is a wonderful journey despite the occasional storms!

      Delete