Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Horses

Some things in your life you will just alway have a special affection for.  One of those things, for me, is horses.  I was a ten year old horse not you never really outgrew that horse-crazy "phase".  I rode in high college, and beyond.  Always poor, I always found a way to barter my way into riding other peoples horses.  After children I realized that my jumping and showing days are a thing of the past ( I no longer bounce back after a fall like I did when I was twenty).  Of course, I will still get on a horse if the opportunity arises.  Still, I am always still drawn to all things equestrian, which is why I cannot resist little vintage horse jewelry that I find at the flea market.  Moments of "oh, look!  a little earring with a rhinestone horseshoe" are very common for me.  So this necklace is in honor of my inner horse-crazy child who will never truly die.  The one that got up at ungodly hours to braid a horses mane for a show. The one who still loves the smell of horses and the way they will nicker softly at you when you open the barn door to feed them in the morning.  The one frantically wiping the green horse slobber of her nice show jacket that she just put on and her horse decided to rub his face on it before entering the show ring.  The barn rat.  Yeah, that's me, I'm still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment